Your Shopping Cart

You have no items in your shopping cart.

Read About Bearded Dragons Info

Bearded dragons are docile, social lizards native to Australia. Everything you need to know about them is contained in this article.

Bearded dragons - Facts

  1. Description:

    Bearded dragons are a lizard native to Australia. Adult bearded dragons grow to a length of about 18-24 inches.
  2. Varieties:

    There are generally thought to be six or seven species of bearded dragons, all native to Australia.
  3. History:

    Bearded dragons, like other reptiles, are believed to have evolved from dinosaurs.
  4. Physical Traits:

    Bearded dragons grow to an average size of about 18-24 inches. They possess a layer of spines around their neck that can be raised when they are frightened or feel threatened.
  5. Other Defining Characteristics:

    Bearded dragons have a distinctive triangular head. When threatened, bearded dragons also flatten themselves to make their bodies look wider and more intimidating.
  6. Habitat:

    The bearded dragon is native to rocky, dry areas of Australia. As pets, they require a large, securely closed tank furnished with branches and rocks on which they can climb.

Bearded dragons - Concerns

  1. Benefits:

    Bearded dragons are omnivores, and in the wild consume insects and small rodents (about 80% of their diet) and plants (the remaining 20% of their diet).
  2. Liabilities:

    Health issues can be a problem for bearded dragons.
  3. Health Issues:

    Due to their primary diet of insects, bearded dragons can suffer from impacted digestive systems. To help prevent this, limit the amount and size of crunchy bugs (such as crickets or mealworms) that you feed your bearded dragon. Bearded dragons can also suffer from Adenovirus enteritis, an infection of the small intestine, and yellow fungus.
  4. Specific Care Needs:

    Bearded dragons require full-spectrum fluorescent light that is specially designed for use with reptiles. They also need closely regulated tank temperatures, ranging from around 76 degrees to around 86 degrees, with a designated spot for basking that has temperatures around 90-100 degrees. Bearded dragons need their claws trimmed on a regular basis.
  5. Reaction to Children and other Pets:

    As with any reptile, take care to supervise bearded dragons around children and other pets.
  6. Special Household Needs:

    Due to the risk of salmonella, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommend that households with children under the age of 5 or anyone with an immune system deficiency should not own any type of reptiles or amphibians.

Bearded dragons - How to Choose

  1. What to Look for:

    The bearded dragon you select should have clear eyes, with no black, gray or yellow spots on the skin or in the mouth.
  2. Supplies:

    Bearded dragons are large and therefore require a large tank. At the very least, you will need a 40-gallon tank for one bearded dragon. Make sure the top of the tank has a very secure lid, to prevent your bearded dragon from escaping. You will also need a shallow water dish for your bearded dragons. Bearded dragons eat insects as well as leafy greens and other vegetables.
  3. Expense:

    Expect to pay from around $50 to a few hundred dollars for a bearded dragon.